Berlin Fashion Week January 2013

Attending Berlin a second time for Fashion Week last week, I fell in love with the eclecticism of Berlin once again. This time the purpose of my trip was to explore the heart of the alternative but undeniably cool fashion scene. Having visited Berlin a few years ago with friends from Sixth Form, exploring the history and seeing the famous sights, I wasn't sure if another trip would have as much of a profound impact on me this time as it did the first time round. However, it did; even more so this time perhaps, as I felt I was less of a tourist on this trip and more of a researcher; discovering trends and immersing myself further into the diverse culture of the city.







Visiting major trade shows such as Bread and Butter, Premium, BRIGHT, Seek, Capsule and Show and Order I  identified key Autumn/Winter trends in the denim, urban and streetwear categories of the fashion market by familiarising myself with some of the most covetable streetwear brands on the market. Now I'm the first to admit that 'street' is not my usual style. I knew little about denim and streetwear beforehand, and arriving many of the trade shows it seemed pretty clear that in order to look the part you needed to be wearing some sort of beanie hat, or a snapback. I didn't, but then it wouldn't have gone particularly with my trench-style camel coat would it...  








It was extremely interesting to meet so many inspiring people to chat to them about the influences of their collections an the philosophies of their brands. It was enriching to see so much originality, craftsmanship and passion expressed through the medium of clothes; not just about 'T-Shirts and exclusivity', I came to understand that streetwear is all about how you live and how you express yourself. With music and art at its centre, streetwear speaks to a spectrum of subcultures from skateboarding and hip-hop, and although many of the brands are niche and highly exclusive, none were pretentious. The majority were very keen to talk to me in depth, and not just because I'm fashion writer looking for brands to profile. (Ok, maybe that is why!)






I will be featuring individual brand profiles, interviews, trend reports and runway reviews throughout the next few days, as not only did I visit numerous trade shows, I also attended Fashion Week runway shows, with the highlight being the G-Star A/W 13 show at the stunning location of St Agnes Kirche. Writing on behalf of Fashionising.com I was invited to interview G-Star womenswear designer Rebekka Bach as well as attend the runway show and the after party at Berlin's illustrious and outlandish club Kater Holzig. All were fantastic experiences which I shall elaborate in greater detail in subsequent posts.






Sad to leave Berlin at the end of the week, I know it is a city I will go back to again in the future as soon as I have the chance. The inspiring air of creativity and intriguing sense of style which permeates the city is completely enthralling; mesmerising and infectious. From the fashion and the food, the art and the architecture and the people and the parties, Berlin pretty much has everything. If you havn't been yet, I urge you to go. 








   

No comments:

Post a Comment